Tauranga is home to some of the best fishing in New Zealand. The waters around Tauranga are teeming with fish, making it a perfect place to try your hand at fishing. Also, in this article, you will find some of the best tips and things to do in Tauranga to make your fishing journey memorable.
If you’re new to fishing, don’t worry – there are plenty of experienced fishermen in Tauranga who are more than happy to share their knowledge. There are also plenty of fishing charter operators who can take you out on the water and show you the ropes. Grab your rod and reel, and head to Tauranga for some of the best fishing in New Zealand! Know the right timing:
Tauranga is a great place to fish all year round. The summer months offer great conditions for fishing, with calm waters and plenty of fish to be caught. The winter months can also be good for fishing, although the weather can be a bit more unpredictable.
Popular Places In Tauranga for Fishing:
There are many great places for fishing in Tauranga. If you are looking for a place to fish, here are some great options.
- Mount Maunganui Beach is a great place to fish. There is plenty of space to fish and the views are amazing.
- If you want to try your hand at surfing fishing, Papamoa Beach is a great option. The waves can be a bit daunting but it is definitely worth it for the experience.
- If you are looking for a calm and peaceful place to fish, Lake Rotoiti is the perfect spot. The lake is surrounded by native bush and it is a great place to relax and enjoy the scenery.
- Finally, if you are looking for a challenge, the Rivermouth is a great place to fish. The river is fast-flowing and it can be difficult to catch fish but it is definitely worth it for the thrill.
Rules for Fishing in Tauranga:
- A current New Zealand fishing license because you will be fined if you are caught fishing without one.
- A good pair of waders because the water can be quite cold, as well as depths, can vary.
- A good fishing rod and reel because you want to be able to catch fish.
- A cooler to store your fish in after you have caught them.
- Lures, and lines because you need these things to actually catch fish and especially bait because the fish will not bite if there is no bait on your hook.
- A boat that meets the requirements of the Maritime rules because you need a vessel to fish from.
- A fishing net because you need something to catch the fish in once they are on your line.
- To fish in certain areas, you may need a permit from the Department of Conservation.
- There are size and bag limits for some species.
- Please check before you go fishing whether the area is open or closed to fishing.
All of these things are essential for a successful fishing trip in Tauranga. Make sure you have everything you need before heading out so you can focus on enjoying your time on the water!