Red dot sights have revolutionized shooting as people know it. These compact devices offer many benefits over iron sights by presenting a virtual aiming point instead of fixed crosshairs. They’re also much easier to use than scope sights when engaging targets at medium-range distances.
And they’re getting more affordable with time, too! If you have an Ak-47 or are thinking about buying one soon, read on for all the details you need to choose the right red dot sight for your rifle.
What Is A Red Dot Sight?
A red dot sight (or reflex sight) uses an LED light source and a partially reflecting, partially refracting lens to project an illuminated reticle image onto a viewing window. Most red dot sights also include a mechanism to control the brightness of the reticle.
Red dot sights are most commonly used in short- and medium-range shooting situations, where quick acquisition of a proper sight picture is essential. Red dot sights are extremely popular among hunters, law enforcement officers, and military personnel.
Benefits Of Red Dot Sights
– Quick Target Acquisition – One of the most significant benefits of using a red dot sight is the quick and easy target acquisition you get.
– Reduced parallax – What is parallax and why does it matter? Parallax refers to the difference between the reticle’s position when viewed through the sight, and the position of the reticle in the shooter’s line of sight.
– Reduced eye strain – When shooting at the range, you will most likely be doing a lot of shooting with a rifle scope. The longer you focus on the target through sight, the more eye strain you will experience.
– Increased accuracy – Red dot sights can significantly improve the accuracy of your shots. Since you don’t have to worry about centering your crosshairs, you can focus on the trigger pull.
How To Use A Red Dot Sight
Before you can use an ak red dot sight, you have to install it on your rifle. Thankfully, this is usually a very straightforward process. You can also buy sight mounts designed for specific rifles, which makes the installation process even easier. Once the sight is installed, turn it on and adjust the brightness until you can see the reticle. Place the reticle on your target and start aiming.
How To Choose A Red Dot Sight For An AK-47
You can find a red dot sight for any rifle, but there are some specific features you should look out for if you want to get the best sight for your AK-47.
– Reticle shape – The reticle shape is one of the most important things to consider when choosing a red dot sight.
– Battery type – Next, you have to decide whether you want a red dot sight with an AA battery or a lithium battery. AA batteries are cheaper, but lithium batteries last longer.
– Magnification – Depending on the type of shooting you do, you might want to get a sight with magnification.
– Auto brightness – This is a feature that makes it easier to find the right brightness setting since you don’t have to fiddle with the knob every time you turn the sight on.
– Field of view – The field of view refers to how much of your surroundings you can see through sight. The wider the field of view, the better you can react to changes in the environment.